India has to re-skill its workforce
CDA investments in skills
CDA investments were deployed to help Cisco venture into two new areas for NetAcad in India - Vocational and Advanced.
Cisco’s commitment is to reach 250,000 beneficiaries across India by 2020 under the larger umbrella of CSR + CDA. CDA investments alone would touch 100,000 students by 2020.
Vocational – Entry Level Skills Development:
- The skills team worked with select states to embed industry relevant courses into the curriculum at polytechnics, Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) and Skill Development Centers (SDCs). IT Essentials, an entry level course, was for network technician and entry-level IT jobs
- Currently, these courses are functional in Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
- For example, the Government of Andhra Pradesh recently made the Cisco NetAcad IT Essentials and CCNA courses a part of the curriculum of 70 government polytechnics and reached 10k+ student beneficiaries
Advanced – Hackathon, IoT, and Direct-to-Student Courses and Cyber Skills Campaign:
- This initiative includes training and professional development of instructors to ensure they are sufficiently qualified in IoT and cybersecurity.
- It was launched to increase visibility and to scale up enrollment of IoT and cybersecurity courses. It also includes IoT hackathons in Telangana, AP and Odisha.
- 3 IoT Instructor Development programs reaching over 200 NetAcad instructors were completed
- In November 2017, a hackathon was organized. 3000 students from the states of AP, Telangana and Odisha participated. 96 teams were trained, then tasked with creating IoT solutions. 13 teams made it to the finals. The winning solution involved harnessing IoT for clean public toilets (Swachh Bharat)
- NetAcad’s first digital media campaign in India was launched to drive the adoption of our self-learn portfolio on cybersecurity & IoT.