Roundup: Tech Field Day Exclusive at Cisco Live Global 2021
Access Session Recordings
Tech Field Day Exclusive at Cisco Live Global 2021: In the following pages you’ll see videos where Cisco experts give interactive, technical deep dive presentations and demos covering announcements from Cisco Live in the realms of Networking, Data Center, Cloud, Service Provider, Security, SASE and Applications. The live audience of technical delegates (listed below) asked the questions our customers and partners are wondering. Delegates included industry influencers, bloggers, and podcasters. These industry influencers discussed their objective thoughts and experiences on Cisco technology and in addition to the 15 videos with Cisco presenters, delegates recorded 2 roundtable sessions. Live streamed on April 13 -14, 2021.
Recordings for both days are found on the following pages.
Event Staff - Organizers at Gestalt IT
I want to thank and recognize those who were instrumental in making Cisco Live Global Tech Field Day a success. Thank you to all the speakers who joined multiple practice sessions to prepare for the event and worked tirelessly on your presentations. I also want to thank all my marketing peers who worked with me on the content and socialization of the sessions, I appreciate all your hard work. A HUGE thank you to all the delegates - YOU ROCK! Lastly, THANK YOU to Stephen, Tom, Claire, Alissa, Tiffany, and all the great folks at Gestalt IT for creating this wonderful platform for engaging with the broader technical community.
Breana Jordan | @breanajordan12
Build Your Network in a Different Way with Cisco Routed Optical Networking Solution
Speaker: Rana El Desouky Kazamel, Leader, Mass Infrastructure Product Management
Discover how Cisco Routed Optical networking can change the way you're building up your network.
- (16:15) What versions of segment routing have you tested with this SRv6 architecture?
- (16:55) Deutsche Telekom has moved towards leaf spine architectures with EVPN, and a few other carriers. Are you seeing that kind of metro leaf spine architecture deployment?
- (18:50) Using transport of alien wavelengths as a service?
- (25:08) Can you retrofit an existing build?
Routed Optical Networking Solution Demo
Speakers: Rana El Desouky Kazamel, Leader, Mass Infrastructure Product Management & Phil Bedard, Principal Engineer, Mass Infrastructure Group
This session introduces and demonstrates Routed Optical Network management using Cisco's open controller-based automation solution.
- (6:05) Have you addressed the stop gap from how it’s done now to how it’s going to be done in the future in this converged platform ?
- (8:10) If you're converging the IP and optical layers together, does that change anything for you in the realm of going into things like spans, mirrors, lawful intercept, when you're bringing those two things together in the same chassis?
- (12:40) Now that you're converging all this together and you're not trying to guess whether or not the optical layer is up by using the L3 stack, can you inform routing from the lower layers?
- (32:55) Having RSVP-TE and segment routing in the same controller...can you stitch together policies from two different worlds?
Subscriber Services Take a Quantum Leap with Cisco’s Cloud Native Broadband Network Gateway
Speakers: Rana El Desouky Kazamel, Leader, Mass Infrastructure Product Management & Andy Shutz, Senior Director, Mass Infrastructure Product Management
Learn how subscriber services are evolving, and what leaps Cisco is taking to lead this shift.
- (9:45) Where does quality of experience and shaping come in?
- (11:12) There’s a whole market for QOE of vendors that tackle that space, how would I bring one of those into this architecture?
- (17:40) Does this orchestration make it easier to build BNG high availability and how do you manage that in this in this framework?
- (19:04) Could I build clusters within a region, and then failover between clusters and different regions?
- (19:22) Can you speak to what happens if connectivity to the cloud control plane goes away?
- (28:15) Carriers are now starting to use their LTE and 5G assets to compete in the fixed wireless broadband space for this kind of an architecture. How much of a driver has that been?
- (35:26) What does automating this type of network look like, compared to automating an enterprise network?
Cloud Native Broadband Network Gateway Demo
Speaker: Gurpreet Dhaliwal, Technical Marketing Engineer
This demonstration covers different components of Cisco’s Cloud Native BNG solution, the advantages of deploying control plane in cloud with CUPS architecture, and shows how simple it is to connect a new user plane.
Cisco's Innovative Approach to Secure Access Service Edge | SASE
Speaker: Jamey Heary, Chief Security Architect
Dive into the Cisco SASE solution! Key topics include connectivity, security control, and the convergence of the two to provide an integrated network and secure seamless experience.
- (14:05) Is there any plan to expand the number of applications?
- (15:30) Given the federal government's OMB memo on migration to IPv6, can you talk about what the IPv6 support is across the stack?
- (24:26) As you were configuring…is there a difference in failover time?
- (45:00) On the security analytics side, we're seeing an increase in threats. Specifically, tunneling over v4 networks using v6, and reserve v6, ranges to get out to command and control nodes. Is that in security analytics today, and if not, is it on the roadmap?
Innovations in Software Defined-WAN and Cloud Transformation
Speakers: Steve Wood, Principal Technical Marketing Engineer & Aaron Rohyans, Technical Marketing Engineer
Discover how the Emergence of Cloud and SaaS has improved the way Enterprises deploy datacenters and application delivery, and changed the delivery of WAN service
(33:20) With virtual devices there's always limits, so what are the limits and solutions? What is our top end, and how much throughput can we get?
End-to-End Visibility with Cisco ThousandEyes Integrations
Speaker: Prabhnit Singh, Product Lead, Internet & WAN
Cisco ThousandEyes dives into the details on how Cisco is launching the industry’s first enterprise-wide full stack observability offering by integrating ThousandEyes internet and cloud intelligence with the Cisco switching portfolio and AppDynamics.
- (15:50) [in reference to running ThousandEyes on switching platforms] Is this strictly on the Catalyst 9300 and 9400? What about the Catalyst 9500 platform?
- (25:40) Can an agent run on dual stack and see that I'm clean on IPv6, but I'm losing it on IPv4?
Cisco Software-Defined Access For Trusted Workplace
Speaker: Jerome Dolphin, Technical Marketing Engineer
This session dives into the recent developments in the capabilities and use cases for Cisco SD-Access.
- (11:20) Looking at this architecture, would the joining of LISP and VXLAN would be a complementary technology?
- (26:20) Is there an API that's fully featured that you can automate?
Cisco Nexus Dashboard: Comprehensive Visibility and Scale in the Multicloud
Speaker: Matthias Wessendorf, Technical Marketing Engineer
In this session, you'll learn that when using the Cisco Nexus Dashboard, IT operations teams can navigate all aspects of infrastructure lifecycle tasks from initial configuration and capacity planning to running the entire IT infrastructure.
- (3:05) We are hearing that Nexus Dashboard and Intersight are coming together, can you comment on that?
- (9:52) What is the current scale for a single Data Center - 800 racks?
- (16:40) If we're having trouble with ACI or DCNM sites due to technology issues outside of the Nexus platform, are those going to float up into the Nexus dashboard?
- (19:10) Now that DCNM has been added, should we manage entirely through Multi-Site Orchestrator or Nexus Dashboard?
- (24:15) Is there an API for this that you can tie together with something that you already have, that allows you to use the management functions in a way that is driven by an orchestration system?
Deliver High IT Performance with Cisco Nexus Insights and Assurance
Speaker: Karishma Gupta, Technical Marketing Engineer
Dive into Nexus Insights and learn by tracking historical context, collecting and processing hardware and software telemetry data, and correlating customer designs with Cisco best-practices, customers can get excellent visibility and awareness of issues affecting their environment and take corrective actions.
(28:15) As far as visualizing the flows, can I see the same kind of information when I have different vendors in those roles and Nexus spine-and-leaf?
Correlate and Secure your Applications Across Networks and Cloud with Cisco AppDynamics
Speakers: Renato Quedas, Director of Enterprise Architecture and Strategy, Cisco AppDynamics, James Parnham, Senior Product Manager, Cisco ThousandEyes & Randy Birdsall, Director of Product Management, Cisco Security
Discover how Cisco has launched the industry’s first enterprise-wide full stack observability offer by integrating ThousandEyes internet and cloud intelligence with the Cisco switching portfolio and AppDynamics.
- (9:55) Is this information collected with NetFlow, agents on servers, or is it packet captures?
- (15:25) Is there enough intelligence in AppDynamics to be able to trace it to a network component? What would be alerted out of AppDynamics?
- (12:40) How's the indexing of all this data done in the back end?
- (31:05) How does this product operate in environments where they’re trying to minimize the attack surfaces by encrypting absolutely everything, even running on memory. Does that hamper this product in any way?
SecureX: Simplify Your Security with Integration and Automation
Speaker: Ben Greenbaum, Technical Marketing Leader
In this session, a Cisco expert goes over how we give customers new ways to increase their simplicity, visibility, and efficiency, using only SecureX and the tools and people that customers already have.
- (16:55) Who makes the call about what becomes Cisco hosted?
- (19:35) Do you have solutions to cover environments like medical networks, NERC CIP in the utility space, or SCADA networks?
- (31:10) For companies that don’t operate their own Security Operations Center (SOC), is this something that you would see as complementary to a Virtual Security Operations Center (VSOC), a replacement for a VSOC, or reduction in what you would consume from a VSCO with SecureX?
Bringing Infrastructure as Code to On-Prem Infrastructure
Speaker: Justin Barksdale, Technical Marketing Leader
Discover how the integration between Cisco Intersight and HashiCorp Terraform reduces the operational complexity and risk of extending your cloud-based infrastructure as code. We start with the cloud journey (and IaC journey) we’ve seen our customers go on, an overview of our partnership, and demos of both Intersight Services for Terraform and Intersight Kubernetes Service.
Smart Buildings and the Return to the Trusted Workplace
Speaker: Siddharth Krishna, Technical Marketing Leader
In this session, we deep dive on the foundational technologies like 90W UPOE+, location analytics, and AI/ML that lets you take control of your building, reducing energy costs, and improving environmental health.
Cisco Catalyst 9124 Series Access Points - The Next Step in Outdoor Wi-Fi 6
Speaker: Jim Florwick, Senior Technical Marketing Engineer
During this session, our experts talk about the access point configurations and features, as well as implementation details like power draw and architecture support in Mesh environments.
- (22:00) Do you see an application for GPS Sync in outdoor WiFi deployments?